SKIN CARE FOR ACNE PRONE SKIN
What is Acne and when do we get Acne?
Acne is a skin condition common in teenagers and young adults. When the hair follicles of the skin get clogged with oil and dead skin cells, an acne flare is seen. This is because the bacteria that live on the skin can get trapped in the hair follicles and cause inflammation.
Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in the world. Every one has a unique skin tone. Knowing the skin type is the basic of regular skin care. Hence acne treatment varies from one individual to another.
Treatment for acne using chemicals could result in dry skin or inflammation etc. Acne occurs in people who have an oily skin.
Too much stress and lack of sleep can result in acne breakout as stress can wreak havoc on the skin.
Acne is a common skin condition which can be addressed by following some simple ways to prevent its occurrence.
- Wash face regularly to prevent acne sprouts and use washed towels every time.
- Regular use of a moisturizer to hydrate skin surface can re-balance oil glands and help control acre.
- Even the sun screen cream used on the skin should be oil free and use non comedogenic formulas to avoid clogging of pores.
- Unhealthy diet is a very important cause of acne flare. A diet including green leafy vegetables, brightly coloured vegetables and fruits rich in antioxidants and nutrients does wonders to the quality of skin.
- If a diet causes spike in insulin levels, acne flare is seen to appear. The trick is to play down the insulin levels by eating food with low glycomic index. Foods like white bread, soft drinks, cakes, doughnuts, candies, sugary breakfast cereals should be avoided.
- It is important to avoid the urge to squeeze the acne on the skin as it can cause acne-spread and further infection.
- Application of cold compress or ice packs on the zit for 20-30 seconds helps to reduce the acne swelling.
- Limiting Dairy consumption helps prevent acne.
- Exercise helps improve blood circulation which in turn keeps acne at bay.
- It is important to exfoliate regularly.
- Exfoliation helps unclog pores and prevent eruption of acne.
An all natural acne treatment includes dabbing Tea tree oil on the affected area with a cotton ball a few times during the day.
Aloe Vera is a plant in the succulent family. The clear gel got from Aloe Vera leaves, which has antibacterial qualities is used by some to treat acne. It has to be applied directly on the affected area.
A healthy scrub can be prepared at home by mixing equal amounts of sugar and coconut oil. This blend if used as a scrub is known to control acne.
- Shashikala Sekar for ARDRA